1 burglary every 10 minutes in NZ.
It is that time of the year again where opportunist burglars strike if given an opportunity. All it takes is 60 seconds for a burglar to enter a property.
Whether you're going away or going out during the day here's some advice that will make a burglar think twice:
- 75% of burglaries happen during the day, leave a radio on as it gives the impression someone is home.
- Close your curtains, it makes it harder for the burglar to see what is up for grabs.
- 60% of burglaries are where offenders gain access through an insecure window.
- Lock up! Make sure windows are closed, doors are locked and if you have an alarm switch it on.
- Safe keep your valuables i.e. lock up jewellery.
- Make sure your garage is secure.
- Get to know your neighbours and look out for them.
- Advertise your security system and alert your alarm company you are going away.
- Put your mail on hold, a build up of mail will tell the burglar you are away.
- Do not put a key under the mat.
Burglary is a crime that can leave you and your family suffering emotional effects long after the burglary has occured. Your insurance broker can help you after the fact and help you recover financial loss, but the best outcome is that it doesn't happen to you in the first place.
Take steps to deter a burglar by making sure your home is secure.
By Chantal Tarr, previously Claims Manager.
About the AuthorName: Rothbury
Like many of our business insurance clients we're a majority NZ owned company that was started by enterprising Kiwis in 1950. Today, New Zealand is a different place to when we first started. As a consequence, the way…
Like many of our business insurance clients we're a majority NZ owned company that was started by enterprising Kiwis in 1950. Today, New Zealand is a different place to when we first started. As a consequence, the way we respond to your business and personal protection needs has evolved and matured.
While our core business is still related to creating the best insurance solutions for you, our motivation and passion now lie in being unconditional advocates for our diverse range of clients. In other words people like you.Close