Our thoughts are with the thousands of people affected by the Port Hills fires. We are here to help. Here's a short guide on what to do, cover for alternate accommodation and claiming for property damage.
What to do if you are affected by the fires - safety first
- Listen to your local radio stations for advice from emergency management officials.
- Evacuate quickly if told to do so by authorities. Take your getaway kit with you.
- If there is time, secure your home as you normally would when leaving for an extended period.
- Turn off electricity and water at the mains if there is time. Do not turn off natural gas.
- Take your pets with you when you leave if you can safely do so.
- If you feel unsafe evacuate.
Insurance cover for alternative accommodation
- Many home insurance policies include cover for alternative accommodation.
- If alternate accommodation is required, contact your broker as this may be covered by your policy.
Claiming for property damage
When the fires are out and you’re able to return to your home:
- Notify your Rothbury broker if you have a claim.
- Take photos of the scene and damaged property/contents if possible.
- Do not dispose of any salvaged or damaged items; your Insurer/Assessor will need to view these.
- Minimise the loss by starting the clean up process and salvage items that may be able to be repaired.
- Make a list of all of the damaged items.
- To support your claim, you will need to provide proof of ownership. When there’s fire damage this can be very difficult but copies of original receipts, invoices, manuals or photos are options.
Helpful information can be found on these pages:
About the AuthorName: Greg Greenwood
I'm the Leader - Business Development and Sales plus Manager - National Projects at Rothbury Insurance Brokers and live in Christchurch. I have a portfolio of commercial clients, many who have been my clients for years. My experience of…
I'm the Leader - Business Development and Sales plus Manager - National Projects at Rothbury Insurance Brokers and live in Christchurch. I have a portfolio of commercial clients, many who have been my clients for years. My experience of earthquake claims and issues is called upon frequently to assist clients and those needing insurance advice in the region. I am also the Chairman, Canterbury region for IBANZ (Insurance Brokers Association NZ).Close
Feedback & Comments
No one has posted yet! You could be the first!